Monday, April 11, 2011

In Search of a Mountain

There is a big mountain out here in the northwest. I have seen pictures of it and I must say I have seen it on past trips to Washington. I arrived here the end of February and this time here has had its share of rain and clouds. When we had sunny days I would look off in the direction of Mt. Rainier and all I saw in the distance were clouds....no mountain. One sunny afternoon I went for a ride for the purpose of getting a view of Mt. Rainier. I was sure I would see it this time and I was told there was a certain turn on the highway where the mountain becomes visible if you are looking for it. Well, I was ready to see it, but again, it was not to be seen, only clouds in the distance.

Last Friday evening, I was driving to a meeting and was listening to my favorite CD. The CD started up in a "random" place from where I had been listening with Stella and Judah earlier that day. As I listened to our beautiful daughter Jennifer and her incredible husband sing, the song "Dear Daddy" came on and then I heard Lonnie's sweet birthday greeting to his pretty precious daughter. As his message was ending on the CD, I looked off to the east and there it was, clear as day, Mt. Rainier.

I looked up at the sky above me and there were clouds everywhere but off in the distance the skies were blue and Mt. Rainier gleamed and its snowy appearance was suddenly visible to me. I was stunned. So many days before I had searched for just a glimpse and then, as I heard Lonnie's words, there it was. I wondered why it happened right at that moment and I felt an assurance that this was an awesome blessing from the Lord! This was not a coincidence.

I tried to pull over off the major highway and take a picture of the mountain, but the trees blocked my view and then I was in a valley where I couldn't see because of the hills. I determined that it was a moment for me to remember....maybe not digitally on my phone....but in my heart. What an awesome God we have! Oh, how He loves us!

Things at times may seem hidden from us and we may be seeking God for answers or for Him to reveal His way to us in our situation. Although we do not always see Him and His answers may not always be obvious, we know He is there....we'll keep seeking His face and His ways.

Also, I want to keep noticing His blessings....one of my new favorite quotes came from a little Dove candy last year: "Blessings only come to those who notice!" Thank you, Lord, for Your blessings and for creating such an awesome world.

Thank you for allowing me to see Mt. Rainier at just the right time!




3 comments:

  1. You once again brought tears to my eyes. You are such a gifted writer and teacher..taking over where Lonnie left off. You always have such wonderful scriptures and lessons for us. Oh Chrissy I love you and Lonnie so much. Thank you for your gift!!!
    Love, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. God has truly given you the gift of sharing "the sight of Him"
    If we look and listen,taste, smell and touch the wonders of this life,
    He will surely show us His Love
    through His creation!
    How comforting....Thank you, Christine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! You are so good at reminding us all to look to Jesus and pointing us to Him. Thank you for that. You are amazing! You are *awesome*.

    ReplyDelete