Sunday, September 4, 2011

Tiffany's List

Blocks made by Grandaddy and set up by Jen and Benji and Zoe last Christmas
Our daughter, Jennifer, and I have been talking about how so often the seemingly small things in life are what really become the big things when we look back.  We are finding that to be the case with our precious Lonnie. Sweet little memories tucked away that just come out of nowhere! These memories bring us laughter and tears. He really was faithful in the "small things" as well as amazing in the big things of life.  


Funny little occurrences also come to mind like walking through Walmart and hearing the words:  "Lawn and Garden, Lawn and Garden" and Lonnie and I would look at each other thinking they are calling "Lonnie Barker, Lonnie Barker." This always made us smile. He would play with his wedding ring when he was driving, take it off, twirl it, pretend like he lost it....and then I'd see that smirky smile which let me know he was just kidding! 


Lonnie made blocks (shown above) for the grandchildren and these little blocks are treasures to us now.  He made the first batch of blocks for Tiffany 23 years ago when she turned one year old.  We have a picture of our children sitting around the table painting blocks. He would spend so much time sanding the blocks for our little ones, making sure and hoping they would never get slivers. 

Even the little ones notice sweet things: I was helping Jen make cake pops for Zoe's birthday.  I took my rings off while doing this task. About half an hour later, Zoe says, "Granmommy, where is your ring and grandaddy's ring? I wear Lonnie's ring and mine above it to keep it on my finger.  She noticed they were not on my finger. It was really sweet to me. She loves that I wear them and it just seems right to me.      

Tiffany wrote a message to Jen on her birthday and it shows this to be true as well.  I think we are learning it is so important to be faithful in the "small things"....because they become what we cherish!  The seemingly insignificant word or kindness or funny event brings us joy or comfort that keeps on going!  


I loved Tiffany's list she wrote for her sister and she gave me permission to put it on my blog.  

For my sister on her birthday, 28 memories with you
1.  When you accidentally set a firework off in the house.
2.  When I accidentally stepped on your wedding dress and made you fall down in the sand.
3.  When Dad used to drop us off for school and sing as loudly as he could while we ran away completely embarrassed.
4.  When you showed me a picture of your new friend named "Benji." It was the only picture you had at the time.  He looked like he was trying to pull a palm tree out of the ground.  
5. When you got old shoes from the antique store and they kept falling apart.
6. When we ran around in cowboy boots scared of the squirrel that got into our house.
7.  When we made that music video in Guam.
8.  Dipping candlesticks into different colored wax.
9.  When I wore your new clothes without asking.  :/
10. When you used to let me hang out with you and your friends. I remember that disco ball in Steph's car.
11. When we had a big curtain down the middle of the room.  My side had teddy bears, your side had glow-in-the-dark stars.
12. When you fainted at Six Flags and I cried because of what happened right before that. ha.
13. One time I was sitting in the balcony at church and I watched you greeting everyone with a bright smile and so much love.  I admired you. I still do.
14. When we used to be ice skaters spinning around in the living room in our socks while Jason and Jeremy were the announcers.
15. Remember pocky in Korea?
16. When you were in labor with Zoe, someone accidentally called me and all I could hear was, "Breathe, just keep breathing!" I started crying because I thought you couldn't breathe. :)
17. When we used to swing dance.
18. When we made Green Bay Packer cheerleading costumes.
19. Remember when we got that phone call from Daddy while he was in Korea? He told us we were moving to Hawaii...pure joy.
20. Speaking of Hawaii...plumeria.
21. When we saw Harrison Ford on the pier.  Daddy stood there in his hat and Hawaiian shirt, camera around his neck, trying to get a pic. (Side note from mom: He got a good picture  and with Harrison Ford's permission).
22. When we used to collect keys from antique shops.
23. When I accidentally bumped your car into the landlord's truck.  Wait, did I ever tell you about that?  um.... anyway...
24. When Mommy used to braid our hair into angel braids.
25. When we used to write messages to each other under our bed.
26. When you introduced me to Swedish Fish.
27. When you painted a picture of that house I fell in love with in England, the one with the English garden.
28. When we became best friends, somewhere between all of these memories and years, you became my very best friend in the whole world. I love you, Jennifer Michelle, you are the best sister in the world.

2 comments:

  1. Swoon. My fam is my treasure! Those small (huge) things make me overwhelmed with thankfulness for my sweet family! I hope that Zoe and Jubilee will be best friends like us T, and that Benji and I will raise them well. That we will provide them with great and small adventures, like you and Daddy! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom this is such an awesome blog and reminder to treasure these moments everyday. Love you so much and appreciate you sharing your heart

    ReplyDelete