As I was making my way to visit Tiffany, Zachery and little Isaiah, I had a set of directions that Zach had sent me. They were all printed out and I was ready to go. I decided to turn on my GPS for reinforcement. All was going well until I came to my first turn, and little "Miss Navigal" started to tell me to go another way. Zach had been on this trip before so I trusted his directions. Eventually my GPS would catch up and go with me for awhile.
Toward the end of my trip, she was telling me that I had 500 more miles to go when I was about 2 hours from my destination. I would turn her off, put the destination in again but she wouldn't budge. I stayed with the written directions on my sheet of paper and I arrived with no problems at all. If I had listened to my GPS that day I would have been driving a very long time and would have gone the wrong way.
As the voice of my GPS kept trying to get me to turn around, do a u-turn, etc..., you may wonder why I didn't just turn her off. I wanted to see when she would catch up with the way that was written on my paper. Don't worry, I was listening to music...she was just in the background.
It seemed to be a perfect illustration of some of the voices and thoughts (even in our own heads) that we may hear in the background on our journey here on earth. I am thankful for the voices that have encouraged me to trust in our Sovereign God.
We have Someone who has gone before us and has made the way for us. We may hear voices or thoughts that say, "Turn left here, turn right here, make a u-turn. See, these things shouldn't happen. If you had gone this way, it wouldn't have. This is beyond understanding...how can you trust if you don't understand?"
All I can answer is what is written in II Samuel 22:31-33, "As for God, His way is perfect; The word of the Lord is proven; He is a shield to all who trust in Him. For who is God, except the Lord? And who is a rock, except our God? God is my strength and power, And He makes my way perfect." Psalm 18:30 states, "As for God, His way is perfect: The word of the Lord is proven; He is a shield to all who trust in Him."
"For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts" says the Lord (Isaiah 55:8,9).
I choose to trust in Him today. I don't understand it all but I choose to trust in the One who created all things. May the Lord help me to listen to His voice and follow His ways.
Chris,
ReplyDeleteI absolutely needed to hear this today! Thank you for sharing your heart and journey with us.
Susie
Thank you, Susie!
ReplyDeleteHi, Mom:
ReplyDeleteThis reminds me of a sermon from a couple of weeks ago. Our pastor was describing the attacks of the enemy as mentioned in Ephesians 6. He made the point that the enemy's arrows often come as those subtle suggestions that cause us to doubt God. Your quotation of Psalm 18--"He is a shield to all who trust in Him"--reminds me of the shield of faith that protects us from those attacks. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
So glad to have you here in Missouri for a while.
Love you,
Zach
Oh my goodness...you made me cry again. Just beautiful.
ReplyDeleteWhat a precious devotion. I will share it with my boys who are making life decisions right now...follow Him, not the world's suggestions. Perfect!
ReplyDeleteHowever, we must recognize His voice so we can distinguish the difference. The only way to easily identify it is His is by spending time with Him.
Chris, you are a treasure! Love you, Laurie