Monday, May 16, 2011

Wooden's 7-Point Creed

I was at the bookstore one day and saw this book by John Wooden, the famous basketball coach and one of Lonnie's favorites. He gave this 7-point creed to his son when he graduated from elementary school:



Be true to yourself

Make each day your masterpiece
Help others
Drink deeply from good books including the Good Book
Make friendships a fine art
Build a shelter against a rainy day
Pray for guidance and give thanks for your blessings every day.
(This is found on page 290 of "Wooden on Leadership" by John Wooden and Steve Jamison)

He also said: "Nobody cares how much you know (until they know how much you care)."

And a side note: Want to say that I am so proud of our little four-year-old grandson, Elijah, who is just growing up so fast and had his birthday recently. He is a delightful little boy, is playing T-ball now, learning his Bible verses at AWANA, loves his family and is loved by us all!

Your granmommy loves you, Elijah! Happy Birthday!


4 comments:

  1. You know that point he made of being true to yourself. I was thinking of times when I knew the Lord either wanted me to do something or not do something...not because it was wrong or right for anyone else....but it was wrong or right for me. I'm thinking that is what "being true to yourself" means for me. When God has put something on my heart....do it no matter what. Easier said than done, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that it is sometimes easier to know what God has told me to do by reading it in Scripture rather than discerning His voice in my heart. But sometimes it is easier to do the things in my heart rather than the things written in His Word. I know that the Scriptures and God's voice in my heart work together and that the latter is submitted to the former but it is sure a lot harder when my heart tells me to do one thing and the Scripture tells me to another. "God set our hearts to be in line with your Word always, Amen."

    ReplyDelete