Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Choices

No matter where a person moves or lives, there is always one constant. It doesn't matter where you are, you are still there with your attitudes and heart!

As we moved around from place to place in the Air Force, we would find ourselves getting settled in a new home, meeting new friends, facing challenges for the children as they enrolled in their new schools or we chose to homeschool. We moved very often. Our youngest daughter moved 11 times by the age of 17.

I imagine we think we'll be happy when we leave a certain place, move to a new desired location, or when our circumstances have changed, but in reality we can be happy or unhappy in Hawaii, North Dakota, Arkansas, New York, California, Guam, Korea, etc... We can choose to set the tone for our home by our attitudes. Will we realize the joy of the Lord is our strength, or will we wallow in self-pity or unrealized wishes and wants? Believe me, there were (and are) times I failed miserably for which I thank God for His forgiveness.

So much of what our children and (now for me) grandchildren learn is not necessarily taught verbally but oftentimes caught when we are unaware. They are watching us, how do we act and react when we're cut off in traffic, the neighbor's trash is in our yard, our day is disrupted by a flat tire, we're in a new home with none of our belongings and trying to make it work, or a lost shoe. A lost shoe! Now there's a story!

I was not perfect, we were not perfect, but we tried to be honest with our children, told them when we were wrong, and taught them about our God who is!

The attitude of my heart is what was and is important. "Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting" Psalm 139:23,24.

One more thought that recently spoke to my heart by Francis Chan (Crazy Love):

"There's that perplexing command: 'Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again, Rejoice!' (Phil 4:4).....and it follows with a charge, 'Do not be anxious about anything' (v. 6). That came as a pretty staggering realization. But what I realized next was even more staggering. When I am consumed by my problems--stressed out about my life, my family and my job--I actually convey the belief that I think my circumstances are more important than God's command to always rejoice. In other words, that I have a 'right' to disobey God because of the magnitude of my responsibilities."

So...I'm learning (I haven't arrived at the end of this education), that no matter what, we can and have the privilege to "rejoice in the Lord." He provided all we really need when Jesus died on the cross for us and rose from the dead. My hope is that I will learn to "rejoice in the Lord" no matter what! I may have sorrow, but I have God's provision and presence with me every day and for that, I choose to rejoice! I also have an awesome family and amazing friends who are helping me on this journey as well. Thank you for your love and prayers!

9 comments:

  1. Great message. This helps me today. Thanks mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for today's post! I am wrestling with the powerful truth of this right now. After so much traveling the past week, I've returned home a little disoriented and discontent. I've been working on anchoring my soul to thrive in the very place Jesus has me---whereever that happens to be. Love you so much and looking forward to meeting our new granddaughter very soon now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom, you have no idea... this has shaped my life in so many ways. Your attitude whenever we moved was golden, always looking for the beauty in the unknown adventures we would have. As we (or I) would be breaking down, so sad about leaving my friends, I would watch you. You never had that in your eyes, just the hope of what was before us (even the move from Hawaii to North Dakota). Even now, when I'm so beyond heartbroken that Daddy's not here, you call me and tell me how thankful you are for the beautiful clouds you were able to see that day. Your thankfulness dissolves my anger. I love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing. Just last night at Bible study I was convicted of not taking every moment possible to show Jesus to my children and how it starts with my attitude. You are precious Aunt Chrissy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a precious post reminding us of the truths of God's Word that can guide us through our daily lives. Thank you. Keep em' coming! I am taking it to heart Chris. May the Lord continue to bless your day and life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok so were you at my house for the past couple months? I needed that reality check. Thank you. I will try harder to be more positive actually I WILL be more positive. Nanique

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's an attitude of joy & thankfulness that allows us to be aware & witness all God is showing us each day. When we turn inward our focus is skewed. Thanks for such a beautiful reminder! I love you , my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Mom. Thanks for sharing what you're learning. Powerful reminder. First, I want to honor God with my attitude, something that's hard to do when we get bogged down in our circumstances. Also, I really want to model this for Isaiah. Already I can see how much he picks up on that we never explicitly tell him. Your wisdom is a treasure. You are very loved and appreciated. Love you, Z

    ReplyDelete
  9. How did I miss this before? Awesome words, so needed!!

    ReplyDelete