
Hello Family!
Ponder this on a most special and treasured day that we Barkers are blessed to celebrate today:
"Alex Wojciechowocz's house is set on a hilltop looking out over the Atlantic. He designed the house himself, and he has a large, handsome den with a fireplace and a desk where he handles his chores as president of the NFL Alumni Association. He has a hedge of roses, which he tends, and a rock garden and a swimming pool and a telescope aimed at the ocean, and he seems to lead a very pleasant life. As I left his home, I couldn't help thinking that perhaps Vince had a place like this in mind, a place where someday, when he stopped pushing himself, when he stopped driving so hard, he could finally relax and enjoy himself and his family." (Taken from Jerry Kramer's book entitled Lombardi: Winning is the only thing).
I share this because as I was reading this initially I was saddened, thinking of the times ahead that I could have had with my father. I envisioned something similar as described above that would make up the scene for a place that we as a family could have lived "happily ever after" with Dad at the helm. And then I got it. I got the big picture.
Alex Wojciechowicz was a freshman at Fordham University who followed in the footsteps of, and learned how to carry himself because of, Vince Lombardi. They were teammates on Fordham University's football team in the 30's. Alex was interviewed about his recollections of life as a teammate of Vince Lombardi following Vince's passing at the young age of 57 years.
Through my reading, it is no surprise to me that Dad too must have really been impressed by Vince Lombardi. I found it almost funny how similar some of the traits that Vince drove to embody were core characteristics that Dad effortlessly lived by: Athleticism, Scholastics, Citizenship, and his Faith were all at Dad's center.
Why am I sharing this? Well, this book is comprised of many accounts of Vince's character and persona. Our lives, and all those who knew Dad, and those who will hear of Dad, will have been better because of his testimony and story. We get to share a story of perseverance and faith and all I can imagine that is a life of abundance in the blessings that matter most.
Although it seems unfair that we won't get to see Dad's smile, share a laugh, or learn something through his conversation, we will always have our telescope by the sea to look through. His life, the way he lived, and Who he lived for, will always lead us to a see things in a better light. I think it's great how Alex's house is described above. It is my desire that our house (or family) will always be a source of hope, a mirror of grace, and a place of comfort for all those who enter. From the babies of my generation, to those of the next, Dad's example will mark our future. I am glad for that.
I love you guys!
Happy Fourth!
Jeremy
(Pictured above: Lonnie with his baby Jeremy and his first gift to him. Jeremy still has that football.)
Oh, how beautiful. Although I never met Lonnie, his life shines in his
ReplyDeletefamily's devotion to his spirit. Thank you, Jeremy. Thank you, Christine.
Wow. Thank you for sharing. As I was reading this I was also thinking about the place Jesus is specifically designing for each one of us. I bet dad is enjoying that place tremendously. Until we join him, we get to live with the hope that is before us and the example that has been set. Thanks dad, Jeremy, and mom.
ReplyDelete