I watch my daughter paint and it is amazing to see the light reflected in her work. She recently painted a picture she entitled "Aspen" and it truly reflected light and life and glorious beauty.
When you walk into a darkened room, the colors do not show up at all but turn the light on and "voila," colors are everywhere! As my son and his wife turned the lights on their tree last week, we noticed how the lights were reflected in their bay window. What a beautiful sight!
My Lonnie loved Christmastime, everything about it: the music, the joyous smiles of our children, celebrating Advent as a family in our home as we prepared for Christmas Day, lighting the candles, making gifts and putting together toys, drinking eggnog, decorating our house inside and out (including our fake snow in Guam and real snow in North Dakota), going to the mall and watching the people scurry and hurry along, Christmas Eve service with the luminaries all lit, the Christmas story on Christmas morning, the chaos and the fun...and the lights.
Jesus is the Light of the World. We need His light to shine brightly in our lives, to dispel the darkness. During this time of Christmas, I am making a mental note to concentrate on the "Light." I want the beautiful Christmas lights to remind me of our Savior who was born a baby in a manger. Later in his earthly ministry He said the words, "I have come into the world as light, so that everyone who believes in me should not remain in darkness" (John 12:46). He also said, "I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life" (John 8:12).
This year I am concentrating on the Light
....and the music
.......and family
...... and the joy that continues in our grandchildren's faces and our children's faces as they rejoice with their families
.....and the joy of Zach and Tiffany bringing little Ruby home for Christmas.
.....and the joy of Zach and Tiffany bringing little Ruby home for Christmas.
But most of all, I want to fix my eyes on the Light; on Jesus who came into the world to bring us hope and peace in the midst of the storm. I want to reflect His light to the world around me even as those windows in my son's house reflected the lights of the Christmas tree.
So when we see those twinkling beautiful Christmas lights, let's remember the love of our God who sent His only Son to be our Light and who will lead us home.
Thank you, God, for leaving the Light on for us.
(The song Light of the World by Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir started playing on my computer as I finished this blog. My computer was on shuffle play. I thought that was very special!)
(The song Light of the World by Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir started playing on my computer as I finished this blog. My computer was on shuffle play. I thought that was very special!)
I love this post! Thank you for this precious way to look at the lights of Christmas, to think about Jesus and the reminder to reflect the light of Jesus! You are a precious lady, Chris Barker!
ReplyDeleteWow! Love that Light of the World came on as you finished writing! Mom, I'll be reminded of His light all this Christmas season because of these words. Thank you for your beautiful insight.
ReplyDeleteChris,
ReplyDeleteI love this. You are doing a fabulous job of capturing the legacy that Lonnie left and at the same time looking at your life and future through the lens of God's light and hope.
Karen
Love you Marmee! You are a bright light in our lives. Love you!
ReplyDeleteChrissy,
ReplyDeleteYou are so precious and I always look forward to
your blogs. You are so wise and minister to me so much...thank you!! Love, Pat
WOW now that i have all the tears out of the way, I can write. I LOVE this. Your man was an Awesome Man of God, Husband, Father, Chaplain who was blessed to be married to an Awesome Lady of God, Wife, Mother minister, who is blessed to be surrounded by her Awesome Children of God, who are carrying on the Legacy of their Godly parents and are blessed by their beautiful innocent Children, your and Lonnie's Grandchildren, but more importantly from eternities perspective, your Godly Heritage.
ReplyDeleteLonnie and your light will be passed through the ages into eternity. We will never know this side of eternity the impact that ya'lls light has had, we will never know this side of eternity, how everything we do not understand was woven into the plan that God had for His Light to Shine even brighter.
Even so let your lights so shine as to Glorify the Father of Lights
Love
Mark
I want to thank you all for your very affirming and loving comments! Thank you so much!
ReplyDeleteSo thankful that Ruby is home with her Mommy and Daddy and big brother. She is such a blessing to our family. Thank you, God for the miracle of her life and for the opportunity to love her and be loved by her. Thank you this Christmas for family and friends who shine Your light for all to see.
ReplyDelete