Lonnie's notes are some of my most treasured possessions. Pointing people to Jesus was his delight and joy. His notes in his Bibles, the passages he underlined, and references he wrote on the front and back pages of books and different Bibles are like lifelines to me. These notes show his heart for the Lord and his desire to share His love. As a chaplain and a minister, he was called on to be with people during some of the happiest as well as saddest times of their lives. Weddings, new babies, dedications, celebrations in life, walking with people in difficult situations and dealing with death were all such a part of his calling.
I found a small presentation he made on dealing with those who are grieving and it is filled with such good words. In a way, Lonnie is ministering to me through these notes and the thoughts he had made.
So I sift through his boxes filled with books and look for notes of encouragement and help and I find them. I never know when I open a box what I will find. On Monday I opened a box from his office. He had written notes about his medical care and the date he started taking Zocor. At the bottom of the paper he wrote three Scripture references regarding healing and encouragement:
"Acts 3:6 'In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth--walk,'
Psalm 95:6,7 '(entire chapter)'
Psalm 147:3-5,11,14-16."
The file that contained his health care and information was entitled "Hope".
He wrote dates of when our children were going to possibly come visit and notes of places he wanted to visit in 2010 when our children came over to Germany and things he wanted to do with them and our grandchildren. And he wrote notes about places he wanted to take me while in Europe. I come from a Swedish heritage so he wrote: "Sweden--for Chris, Rome--Christmas?, London..., Sound of Music--RTT."
There are so many more precious things I am finding but you know what I am being reminded of once again: Lonnie's love and his heart for his Lord, his family, the people he worked with and for and life itself. I am finding treasures that make me cry and that make me smile. I shared some of these lists Lonnie made with one of our sons and he texted me these words: "I love Dad's relationship with Jesus. So personal, so real, so powerful, so hopeful, so genuine."
So, so precious! You and all your children reflect and live that same life of faith! So humbled, honored and blessed to become part of this lineage through my son! Love you so much!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Cathy! Your words are so affirming and a blessing to me. Love you!
Delete