![]() |
| Lonnie when he was deployed to Kuwait |
"11 June, 1996
Dear Lonnie,
'And we urge you brethren to recognize those who labor among you and are over you in the Lord and admonish you to esteem them very highly in love for their work's sake...' (I Thessalonians 5:12-13).
And maybe not just for their work's sake but because they're so easy to love. I was very excited when I heard you were coming. I knew we were getting a chaplain that truly loved the Lord and knew the power of His Spirit. I knew it would make a huge difference in our experience here. I also knew, as a pastor or chaplain, your world can become devoid of any encouragement or consolation. The Lord works in men in places like this and Satan knows that and, like any strong enemy, he will attack the center of gravity for our efforts, namely you.
My prayer for you throughout our time here was for protection from that. Hebrew 13:17 says pastors 'watch out for your souls as for those who must give account.' My account of my pastor here would be that he inspired me by his sincere, genuine, unashamed love for His Lord and for those under his care. This is both my thanks and love to you and my encouragement for you. Love your brother in Christ,
Mike......"
Mike, your letter blessed me today and I thank you for your prayers for my husband during this time of ministry in Kuwait.
Thank you to all who pray for and encourage their pastors and shepherds. It is so important that we remember to bring words of encouragement to one another. I have to say that this letter was a source of encouragement to hear and know that another person was praying specifically for Lonnie during this deployment. I can't even decipher Mike's last name in the letter to thank him now but I am grateful for his and others words to Lonnie.
So, someone who was a stranger to me brought a special word of encouragement to my husband. I know this because Lonnie saved this letter in a box that contains very precious items: pictures of his children, audio tapes of our babies, slides from when we were married, quotes from our children as they grew up and said funny or poignant things (just to name a few). I know many people were praying and there are cards and letters from many others in this special box as well.
I hope I will remember to bring encouragement to friends, family and strangers I meet along the way. You never know when a letter or a word that you sent or said might be tucked away in a special place to be remembered and bring blessing to someone's heart.

No comments:
Post a Comment