Saturday, October 6, 2012

A Heart That Loves....

I have a treasure trove of sermons that Lonnie has written.  I sat down and read this one when I was actually looking for a Christmas play that he had written.   This sermon entitled "A Blessed Hope" was dated August 21, 2005, when we were in Alabama.  I love reading his words and His love for the Lord that is so evident.

Some nuggets, sermon notes "in his own words" (cryptic at times and at other times, not-so much):


The Bible--It contains the evidence of God's love--all about God's salvation story--He gave everything--paid the greatest price of all--because of His amazing love for us.


Creation--The wonder and the glory of creation speaks of God's love--we are surrounded by the evidence--there is a God and He cares about you.


Witnesses--The testimonies of those who have gone before, "My God is a faithful God.  He loved me and sustained me and I long to see Him face to face in glory."


Our Part--Invite Jesus into our lives, receive His gift of forgiveness, grace, love, acceptance and salvation--seek first His Kingdom--seek to live a life that brings honor to Him (knowing full well that it is only possible with His power and grace).  All we can do is say yes to what God wants to give.


His part--Given us many great and precious promises and He keeps every one.  Creator, Savior, Healer.  Sometimes when we are in the dark we need to remember what we have seen in the light.  


He leads us--(When we think we don't need God we stumble, go the wrong way, we become lost).  God gives direction as He reveals His purposes for our lives each day, one chapter at a time.  On-time God, always will be there right on time. (Proverbs 3:5,6) "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths."


Faithful--forgiving--merciful--God's awesome grace--He will never give up on you!!!  This life is only the beginning--glimpses of glory, a shadow of things to come.  He has prepared a place for us--if we turn to Him, the Bible teaches us that He has prepared a place for us to rule and reign with Him throughout all eternity!!  God's awesome love--all about a relationship--His incredible desire to love His children.


At the birth of our first son Jeremy (my wife--long labor, very hard on me)--unexpected emotional rush--wow--life--creation--our son (eyes wide open).  This happened to me each time one of our children was born.


Huntington Library near Pasadena--beautiful place, art, gardens, Jeremy was in the stroller, just a little baby, and his finger became pinched in the stroller.  We couldn't figure out why he was in pain at first.  We were so sad that he was crying and hurt.  My son.


Father God loved the world, the people of the world, and me so much that He gave His Only Son--passion, Calvary, all about His love and desire for a relationship with us.  His Son, His Love.


The Impact of God's Awesome Love:  Psalm 145:6-9  "They will tell of the power of your awesome works, and I will proclaim your great deeds.  They will celebrate your abundant goodness and joyfully sing of your righteousness.  The Lord is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in love.  The Lord is good to all; He has compassion on all He has made."


We are human, therefore, we need compassion (we were created with a need to be loved and cared for).


Years ago, in a far off place--I met this pretty, happy, special girl--she's cool and at some point I began to think that just maybe she thought I was cool, very uncommon--eventually I love you, then one day, yes I will marry you!  Overwhelming that someone could love me enough, accept me, love me enough that they would be willing to live the rest of their lives with me--the greatest feeling of all.  I trust my wife believes that she made a good decision, but at times I can be a pain--she just keeps on loving me--chosen to live the rest of her life with me.

God loves us and wants a relationship with us for the rest of eternity!!!  All of His power and glory, capable of anything--see His heart's desire to redeem, accept, embrace and love His children.  He wraps His arms around us--welcomes us into the realm of His unconditional love--impacts everything.  No matter how difficult the situation, we always know (God loves me).  Most important of all!


Relationship--God forgives us--Now we can have meaningful relationships with others, forgive, show compassion--marriage--life is all about forgiveness, acceptance and love.  We can express those qualities if we turn to the Lord and receive from Him His awesome love.


Perhaps the greatest effect the love of God has upon our lives is that we are irreversibly changed within our hearts so that we no longer live unto ourselves, but rather unto Him who died for us:  (2 Cor 5:15) "And He died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for Him who died for them and was raised again."


An old Greek proverb asserts, "A heart that loves is always young."  (John 14:23 NIV) Jesus replied, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching.  My Father will love him and we will come to him and make our home with him."


As we accept God's love for ourselves, we find a desire growing within to not only love Him back but also to reach out to others in the same spirit of love.  God gives a wonderful promise to those who walk in such a spirit of love in John 14:23.  God comes and makes His home with those who love Him!  Invite the Lord Jesus into your life and rejoice today that God has made His home within you.  Renew your commitment to express your love for God to Him and to others.


Benediction:  Romans 15:13 "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."  


(When I read the little part about me in Lonnie's sermon, it was sweet and touched my heart.  I miss this precious man.  I always will.  I love that he loved so well....  There are some things that just cannot be explained or understood.  So thankful we have "A Blessed Hope".)


2 comments:

  1. Lonnie sounds like a very special man. You were blessed to have him in your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, yes, I was so blessed. His life continues to bless me even though he is not with me now. I am thankful for him.

      Delete