| Christmas Tree 2012 |
I decided to take a little walk down memory lane tonight....
When it came to selecting our Christmas tree, our family liked to find a real tree and, if we could go cut it down, that was even better! It was a family tradition to go and find the best tree we could for the money we had in our pocket at that moment. I remember one year, Lonnie had to reinvent the tree "so-to-speak" by nailing in branches where there were big holes. One year, we bought a tree too early in the season and had to go out and buy a new one around the 15th because our first tree was such a fire hazard (combination of heater and dry tree is not so good).
While we were in Guam, as our friends were leaving, they gave us an artificial tree that they had kept on hand just in case a supply of trees did not make it to the island. This tree had to be put together branch by branch. It is color-coded and quite an interesting undertaking to get all of the branches fanned out, in place and looking pretty.
So, for many years, Lonnie and I would put up a real tree in the living room and would find another room in our house to put up the "fake" tree. This year, I decided to put this "fake" tree in the family room and I think that will be it. As Zoe and I put each branch in its slot and saw the tree come together, it was kind of therapeutic. Jubilee helped me with the lights.
![]() |
| Jubilee helping with the lights |
Lonnie always helped me get the real tree in the stand, straightened out (which could be quite interesting and sometimes even frustrating) and then we would decorate it together at first and I would do the finishing touches.
I found a letter from Lonnie when he was deployed and he reminisced about our Christmas trees:
"I guess if we had all the money in the world--we wouldn't have had as much fun. Remember all the stupid contraptions I threw together to hold our Christmas tree up--just because I didn't want to buy a Christmas tree stand? Buckets--sand--boards--O my! Then all the hours I have spent in my life trying to convince you that the skinny, bare, rundown Christmas trees I got for a great deal are beautiful trees. You would always look at them and sigh, "Well--whatever." But then you would provide the miracle of Christmas and each year you make our tree beautiful!"
| Lonnie's Letter |
This is my first Christmas in my new home and, well, this year, Lonnie, I am putting up our good old stand-by "fake tree" and putting on our ornaments that we collected over the years including those you gave me on our last Christmas together. Thank you for so many sweet memories and I hope you like the tree! It's straight! I couldn't imagine trying to put up a real tree and trying to get it straightened out without your being there to argue with me about whether it was leaning one way or the other. Love you and miss you so much!
At the end of Lonnie's letter he wrote:
"This letter is a sample of what goes on in my mind over here. I think about us all the time. Why don't you write down in short phrases all of the good times you and I have had and then when we get back we can compare our lists.
Hug all the kids for me -- I love you!!
Always, Lonnie"
(Lonnie, I'm still working on that list....so many good things!)

No comments:
Post a Comment