| Ruby and Granmommy |
I was driving to the airport to pick up Jen and her girls when I started to think of the days I had just spent with Tiffany. I went to be with Tiffany and Zach and was so happy to be there to welcome home their new little baby girl, Lily Clementine. The past days had been so sweet and what a privilege it was to play and take care of Isaiah and little Ruby, Lily's big brother and sister. I was excited that Jen and the girls were going to get to meet Lily and be with their cousins too.
Sweet Lily Clementine
|
She also clenches her hands (I must say I have seen great improvement and relaxation in her hands over the past year) and when she gets really happy it is just a sweet little reaction of happiness to clench her little hands tightly. When I was playing with her I would open her little hands and play with her fingers. At times, she would reach up and stroke my face with her open hands which melted my heart. To get a Ruby hug is something really special.
As I thought about precious little Ruby and her family on this 3-hour drive, I started thinking about our Father in heaven who desires to lift up our heads. "But You, O Lord, are a shield around me, you are my glory and the lifter of my head" Psalm 3:3. He wants to help us open our clenched hands and show us the way to reach out in love just as Ruby has learned to do.
As I contemplated these Ruby lessons, a song came on the CD player in Zach and Tiffany's van. It was a new song to me by Emerging Voices and a confirmation of my Ruby reflections. The title of the song is Who Can Compare? https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/who-can-compare/id543630292?
Here are some of the lyrics:
"And You take my hand and You guide me on,
You show me the way to life
You lift my head and You give me hope
You show me the way to life.....
You are the way, You are the truth, You are the life."
I played the song over and over again as I drove along and the words blessed my soul. Thank you, Lord, for my Ruby lesson. You are "the glory and the lifter of my head" and You give us hope. You desire to take our hands and lead us step by step and teach us to keep our hands open to You and others.
Oh, I am thankful for little Ruby, her big brother Isaiah and baby Lily and their mommy and daddy too.
![]() |
| Baby Lily, we love you. |
![]() |
| Isaiah in his new Cars apron |


Chris,
ReplyDeleteWhen I was 20 I was hired as a nanny to care for a 4 year old and a 2 year old who had cerebral palsy. They had been told he would never be able to live a normal life. I didn't believe that. I spread plastic under his high chair and let him learn to feed himself. I held him as he picked out his clothes and then taught him to dress himself. Every single thing was an amazing accomplishment. His mom and dad (who was a doctor!) were astounded at what their little boy was doing. I am proud to say that because of my efforts they began working with him. He went on to have a full life. He walks with the aid of one crutch on one arm after being unable to walk at all at the age of two. With your family's encouragement and God's help I know Ruby is going to have a wonderful full life!