Friday, October 2, 2015

Don't Hold Back Our Love

Today I was able to be at an Air Force Base elementary school and celebrate with my grandson Judah as he was selected to be Student of the Quarter. What a privilege to be here and celebrate with him! 

As I walked with my two little grands, Abram and Edith, I noticed a fine-looking gentleman in uniform walking with his tall pretty wife. He reached out to hold her hand but when he reached her hand, she had a handful of keys. She moved the keys to her purse which I thought was sweet because it seemed she was making room for his hand to fit in hers but, instead, as he reached again, she crossed her arms in front of her and continued to walk beside him across the street. What made her unresponsive to his gesture of love and care? What happened that would cause the coldness I sensed from her as they walked together? It made me sad.

As the morning went by, I forgot about the couple and joined in on the festivities with the children. It was exciting to be at the same school my children had attended years ago, singing some of the same songs and celebrating with these amazing young people and most especially Judah! Congratulations for being such an awesome six-year-old, Judah! 

After the ceremony was over, with all the sweet touches of military life and base schools that I appreciate so much, I walked with little Edith and Abram back to the car. I saw that same couple again and there still appeared to be a lack of conversation and warmth. Sadness. 

Then another couple came into my view and again he was in uniform. His wife was walking alongside him and she reached over and caressed his back in a loving manner. He responded with love and cheerfulness. It made me happy to see her caring and showing her husband her love and receiving his smiles in return. Happiness. 

At this point, it might be melodramatic for me to say this, but, I wish I could reach over and take my husband's hand or pat his back lovingly. I wish I could.  

My message for today is let's not hold back our love because life is precious and we are not any of us perfect. We can tick each other off; we just do that sometimes. Let's still love! We are all different and learning to walk together helps us grow and learn; "iron sharpening iron" kind of comes to mind. 

So, let's not hold back our love because of the stuff of life! Love is an action, not a reaction! Instead, let's love and bring smiles to those we care about as well as to those we don't even know are watching!   






2 comments: