A while back I was asked to speak for a small group up in Washington. They wanted me to share how we coped with being in the military, moving and family life. My post on Choices also came from the preparation I did for that meeting.
As I was preparing, I thought it would be wonderful to get our children's perspectives. I would love to share all of the letters they wrote in response to my query and I believe I shall one of these days. As I was looking back through my journal today I saw the following words regarding Jennifer's letter: "My daughter said she loved family walks." Jennifer said she loved them because we would just walk and talk and listen.
I remember one walk we took when she came home to Alabama from college in California. Lonnie, Tiffany, Jennifer and I (and our dog Allie) went walking along the Alabama River at Maxwell AFB. We started out as a group and then broke up into couples and it was so sweet to look back and see Tiffany and Jennifer arm-in-arm walking together and deep in conversation.
 |
| Walking with Lonnie |
One of my favorite pictures of Lonnie and me was when we were walking on a rainy day in Virginia (thank you Tiffany for the picture). Everywhere we moved, walking was part of our life. We loved walking in the forest near our home in Germany, along the Potomac River in DC, at Hickam Harbor in Hawaii, etc... The toughest place to get our walk in was North Dakota but we would even walk there in the winter inside a huge building that contained tennis courts and a walking trail. Lonnie would run and then join me in a walk around the track.
Such a sweet family memory and tradition! Dreams for the future and events of the day were discussed and sometimes maybe nothing of consequence but the time spent together was priceless. Thankfully, our children are spending time on precious walks and talks with their families and I have the privilege of joining them as well! Lonnie would like that!
Oh the walks Lonnie must be having now! Lonnie is experiencing the words of the hymn "In the Garden" in an awesome way (and I am in a different way): "He walks with me and He talks with me and He tells me I am His own and the joy we share as we tarry there none other has ever known." Thank you, Lord, for walking and talking with us as we continue our journey here on earth.
 |
| Our family is growing....we need double strollers now! |
 |
| Walking and playing frisbee golf |
 |
| Off they go! |
Beautiful memories with my family. We're carrying on these traditions and going on lots of family walks!
ReplyDeleteI agree. Glad to get in on this Barker tradition. Thanks for the inspiration, Mom. Love you so much.
ReplyDeleteLove it! That's a big part of our family's memories as well. Wonder what it is with mil. families and walking? :)
ReplyDeleteI know, Jen. I can tell from your pictures that you and your family have been having adventures walking all over the world....and this past year in Hawaii! There's just something about getting out of the house with your family, away from television and computers, and spending time walking and talking and making memories.....but I guess I already said that!
ReplyDeleteWe would also try synchronized bike riding. That was interesting and hilarious looking back.
ReplyDeleteWe sure did! Lonnie had a fun way of orchestrating humorous outings for our family. Love that fun memory, Jason!
ReplyDeleteYour memories are beautiful and sweet; your reflections insightful and inspiring. Thank you for sharing yourself and your family with us, Chris. And now I have this vision of all the Barkers attempting to synchronize their pedaling while biking...and I want to join in the fun! Love to all!
ReplyDeleteWe were "kind of" reproducing the scene from "Sound of Music" where they are riding bikes going forward and then slowing down so the next ones can be in front to sing their lines...do you remember? Well, then Lonnie added a new twist: zigging and zagging between each other. So funny and fun! We were riding the zigzag pattern! Well, that's the way I remember it anyway!
ReplyDeleteThis is beautiful! I love you and your precious family!
ReplyDelete