When I graduated from LIFE Bible College "back in the day," each year the graduating class would choose a name and verse. The class name we chose was "Reflectors of His Glory" which came from Isaiah 60:1,2. People were invited to write a song that would correspond with our class theme and verse and the winning song was sung by the class at graduation.
I simply put Isaiah 60:1-2 to music with a slight variation of the words in the verses and used "We are reflectors of His glory" in the chorus. My song was not chosen by our class but my husband loved that little song.
As we went into ministry, we pastored in Colorado and Missouri and then went into the Air Force Chaplaincy. Every now and then Lonnie would preach a sermon that would include this passage of Scripture in it: "Arise and shine, for your light has come! And the glory of the Lord is risen upon you. For behold darkness shall cover the earth...but the Lord will arise over you, And His glory will be seen upon you."
He would come up to me at some point during the week before and ask something like this, "Chrissy, would you mind playing and singing your song 'Reflectors of His Glory' for service on Sunday? I just think it would be a great way to end the sermon during the invitation."
He was always so sweet about it and my simple little song would be sung once more, much to his delight. I think he liked to give me opportunity to minister alongside him and I love him for that. We moved 11 times by the time our youngest daughter was 17 years old, so he could include this little song a few times in our military ministry and it was never a repeat for the congregations.
He was always so sweet about it and my simple little song would be sung once more, much to his delight. I think he liked to give me opportunity to minister alongside him and I love him for that. We moved 11 times by the time our youngest daughter was 17 years old, so he could include this little song a few times in our military ministry and it was never a repeat for the congregations.
Yesterday I was reading my Life Journal scriptures (I am on my own two-year You Version plan where I push the catch-me-up button when I get behind) and I came to Isaiah 60 and memories flooded back. I wish I could somehow relate the love my husband had for His Savior and his desire to shine forth His Light. It was what he was all about (that and his love for me and our family).
My hope and prayer is that I will reflect the light and glory of the Lord as I continue this journey. I wish Lonnie were here to sing my little song with me...but he's singing alongside the heavenly hosts instead!
My hope and prayer is that I will reflect the light and glory of the Lord as I continue this journey. I wish Lonnie were here to sing my little song with me...but he's singing alongside the heavenly hosts instead!
Such a good description. YOU are definitely a reflector of His glory. Love your stories!
ReplyDeleteThat's such a great story. Would love to hear the song sometime. Love you, Mom.
ReplyDelete