Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Back of the Book


Do you ever peek at the back of the book to check out what is going to happen when things get tense in the middle?  

I really enjoy reading different kinds of books but have only read a few novels in the past few years. So as I was leaving on a recent trip, I told Jen that I wanted to read two books on the plane rides and guess what? I did it.    

I like to know that everything is going to work out in a story and I really want happy endings. I have been known to peek at the back of the book when I feel unsure in the middle of the story (which I think would cause some of my friends much consternation). At times when I have watched movies, I have begged people to tell me if the star of the movie makes it or what the outcome of a certain character is. Lonnie never wanted to know what was going to happen ahead of time because he liked to let the story unfold as it went along. It pretty much ruined the movie for him if someone gave him too much information about the plot and characters.  

I was thinking about this on my plane trip while I was peeking at the back of the book to make sure that the hero and heroine survived and that justice overcame evil. Once I knew all was going to work out in the end, then I went back to the middle of the book where they were embroiled with troubles and difficulties.  

Later on my trip, I thought about my compulsion to check the back of the book. Why am I like that? Why do I need that assurance that everything is going to work out and be set aright?   

I wondered if I were to read a narrative about my life, would it have a happy ending or read like a tragedy instead. As I pondered this thought, I remembered that the most important story is not mine but it is His Story.  

The last words at the back of the Book, the Bible, ring out: "Surely I am coming soon.'  Amen.  Come Lord Jesus! The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all.  Amen." This thing I do know, the Author of this Book has assured us that good will prevail, our Savior will return, our tears will be no more, we will have joy that we cannot imagine and His grace will be with us.  

It is so good to know that our God has promised to be present with us as we walk through our journey here on earth and experience things we cannot imagine or comprehend, both fabulously wonderful and sometimes excruciatingly difficult.  We may shed tears as we travel along but He is with us and we have read the back of the book.  It will be a very good ending!  Jesus also said that as we walk with Him in obedience and abide in His love, His joy will remain in us.  He said that "these things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be full" (John 15:11).  

How good it is to know that God is with us and this promise of His presence brings great assurance and hope. We are blessed to be a part of His Story as we walk with Him through this life. There will be a glorious, amazing ending and then again, it will usher us into a new beginning of an awesome epilogue that will never end!  

Once again, I am glad I have taken a peek at the back of the Book!  



2 comments:

  1. Ah! I am not a back of the book looker but I totally love your take on knowing how my chapters will end if I but walk with Him through this life. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jane, for your comment. It is awesome to know that He desired to walk with us so much that He provided the Way! What an awesome God!

    ReplyDelete