Lonnie had many Bibles through the years but I gave him this particular Bible on April 10, 1994. He started having trouble with his eyesight and tried to go for the longest time without wearing glasses. This Bible had larger print which was another way to keep from having to wear his glasses all the time. It was a running joke every time he went to get his driver's license, "Will I pass the eye test this time without wearing my glasses?" He would squint and somehow he always did!
Back to the journey of this Bible, Jeremy related how he found this Bible and discovered the verse written on the front inside cover at Lonnie's memorial service in Germany. He said that his dad was his hero and he loved and honored his father so well that day. Jeremy kept the Bible for awhile and then passed it on to his brother Jason who is a minister and a chaplain in the Air Force Reserves.
A couple days after I came to Japan to visit Jason and his sweet family including their little baby Edith Serenity who is a little over a week old now, he brought out a box of keepsakes and special things he had saved. He handed me his father's Bible and said, "I think you should have this. You gave it to Dad and you should keep it now."
![]() |
| Jason, Sunnie and Edith |
So I have it for now. There are many verses throughout the Bible that Lonnie has underlined. There was one message that he would remind us of as we traveled through life together with our family. As we moved with our children and prayed about God's will for our lives and our children, the message from Numbers 13-14 really gave him and the two of us inspiration.
When I opened the Bible after Jason gave it to me, the page opened up right to that passage. Lonnie had underlined words, circled verses and written scriptures at the bottom of the page.
Some of the circled verses included the following:
Numbers 14:3 "Why has the Lord brought us to this land... that our wives and children should become victims?"
Numbers 14:24 (following Joshua and Caleb's good report) "But My servant Caleb, because he has a different spirit in him and has followed Me fully, I will bring him into the land where he went and his descendants will inherit it."
Numbers 14:31 "But your little ones, whom you said would be victims, I will bring in, and they shall know that land which you have despised."
I am reminded of Lonnie's words that the best thing we could do is to follow the Lord and that He would take care of our children. He said we should never use our children as an excuse not to follow the Lord's leading. The key was to know that wherever God called us to go He would be faithful to provide and care for our children. We were not to let fear rule in our hearts but instead we should trust Him!
I am thankful for the wisdom my husband had as he led our family. How we all miss him!
I will continue to look and read through the pages of Bibles and sermons and note the particular verses that Lonnie marked and loved. As I love and enjoy our grandbabies, I will and must remember to trust the Lord for these little ones and pray for our children and their spouses as they follow the Lord's leading in their lives and for their families.
I love these precious grands and their parents so very much! God has been good to us! He is faithful, merciful and loving and He is with us each step of the way! He is holding us by His right hand saying, "Fear not, I will help you."
| Stella with Grandaddy's Bible |

No comments:
Post a Comment