Saturday, November 20, 2010

Making Memories in Hawaii


Just returned from Hawaii and enjoyed sweet time with Jason and Sunnie, Stella and Judah. What a gift that was for me and it brought back many special memories of the 3 years we lived in Hawaii. We made more precious memories during this past week. We stayed at
Bellows Air Station, traveled to the north shore, enjoyed famous shaved ice, went to New Hope Church, had fun "beaching" with Judah and Stella, visited the Dole Pineapple Plantation, snorkeled and saw the amazing fish at Hanauma Bay and so much more.

A true highlight was being able to spend time with Jen and Steve McDonald, both at the beach and in their beautiful home. We saw Gabriel hard at work right when we arrived on the island. Anna and Grace entertained our little ones with all kinds of fun activities and getting to enjoy Anna perform her Irish dances (Grace joined in on one of them) and hear Grace play the piano was such a treat. May God bless them all and keep Matt safe and well as he is away at college! Thank you for your zest for life and for your joy, McDonald family!
When we lived in Hawaii we had so many family adventures! Jeremy was an 8th grader when we first arrived and he learned to drive in Hawaii when he was 15 years old! Is that not incredible that we allowed him to drive on the island when he was 15? He was an excellent driver (as far as I know). He spent a lot of time with his daddy driving before we let him take off on his own. But he did drive on the island and I was always so thankful to the Lord when he arrived home safely. Having children really helps to develop your prayer life and your trust in the Lord that He loves them even more than we do.

Tiffany was in kindergarten, Jen a 4th grader and Jason in sixth grade when we first arrived on the island. It's amazing how you can be living life with your own children and how we can remember things differently....and not just your children. Sometimes I would be telling a story and Lonnie would get that funny look on his face and say, "Hmmmm, that's not exactly how it went," or "That's not quite how I remember it" and always with that cute grin on his face.

It must be perspective. I would love to have our children pick a day, a vacation, a family outing and write down things they experienced in their lives on that occasion and then compare it to what I "thought" was happening at the very same time. I think it might be interesting. Well, but then again, it might be hard for me to remember! Just kidding! I'd do my best. Just wish Lonnie were here to help me remember.

Jason and Sunnie, Stella and Judah, thank you for the precious memories we made this past week. Excellent company, sunrises on the beach, precious talks and conversations, rides in the car to places all over the island with Hawaiian music playing, Jason's body boarding at Sandy's, surfing at Kaneohe, Waimea, his incredible surfing time with Aaron, watching the big waves at Pipeline,
delicious food including L&L Hawaiian BBQ, Jason's BBQ with Sunnie's yummy cooking, sweet children enjoying the sand and the water and also learning about rolling the car window "up" and "down," little pretty princess Stella and sleepy little "honey bunny" Judah at the PCC show, pancakes and so much more! I miss you all already! Thanks for the memories! Help me to remember!

One thing we will always remember is the love we have for one another!

All of us! We are blessed!

6 comments:

  1. Mom, it was so special being with you on vacation!!! Next time we will get everyone there. It was a great scouting trip for our next family reunion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really was. I think we should start thinking of when we can go back to Hawaii sometime in the next 5 years....that's realistic, right? Thanks for the fun times and precious memories. We were a good scouting team!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chrissy-it sounds wonderful! I'm so glad that you made these memories.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So badly wish we could have gone, I know so many memories would have come to me. Some day. This is precious Marm. I'm so glad it was so special!!! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was SO wonderful seeing you and meeting Jason's family. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I asked Terri to remind me how Lonnie would let me know when I wasn't telling something quite right or quite the way he remembered. Terri said, "Usually you could tell on his face, and he'd say. No Chris, well, never mind you go ahead and tell it!! Or no, go ahead, yours is better than mine!!! Then you'd continue to tell it and then he'd say ok, this is what really happened!!"

    He was always so apologetic when he would do it too. It was a little routine we would go through and it made us both laugh.

    ReplyDelete